Sunday, March 1, 2009

Fun & Fitness

Last year, around the point in his training where I am now, Basta was hating it. He didn't like the training, the long hours, or the sore body. He said he'd do it because he signed up for the event and needed to do the training to get there, but he wasn't enjoying it. At this point in his career, he wanted to back off after Oceanside and just do sprints and Olympics, if he even wanted to continue with triathlon at all.

I remind myself of this, rather often, because that's where I am right now. I don't want to do this any more. I'm tired of training. I'm tired of being sore all the time. I'm tired of missing workouts because I'm tired and sore and then feeling guilty for missing workouts.

But mostly, I'm tired of doing all of this and not making much progress. That's the difference between Basta and I. He was tired and sore, but his bodyfat plummeted, his blood pressure dropped, his fitness improved by leaps and bounds, and he could see improvement in everything. I'm not seeing improvement anywhere. In fact, I'm getting slower and I’m just tired all of the time, even though I don't think I'm working out all that much. It's most frustrating. I think I am coaching myself incorrectly.

But I said I wasn't going to talk about me if all I was going to do was whine, didn't I? Well, best to drop this topic then. Instead, let's talk about motivation. Why do we do triathlon? Why do you? Why do I?

I exercise in general to be fit and healthy. I took up triathlon to get a good all-around body appearance. Runners are super-fit but far too scrawny. Cyclists have big legs but slight upper-bodies. Swimming gives you the nice upper body that balances the whole picture.

I like the stuff, too. The gadgets. The equipment. The high-tech attire and accessories. I like that stuff a lot.

Of course there's the camaraderie, too. Signing up for events with friends. Talking about training, workouts, logistics, frustrations, breakthroughs, all. Travelling together or meeting up at events. Having a group cheering for you at the finish line. That's all very nice.

So I plan to continue. Right now I'm just tired. I need to change my training a bit because what I'm doing is not really working for me. If that means I don't finish Oceanside, well, so be it. I'll get as far down the course as I can. Next time I'll make it farther.

I'm doing this for fun and fitness, after all. It's time to pay some attention to the 'fun' aspect.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hej Ana!
Don't give up. It is a gift to be able to train and get physically tired and able to clean the minds.
I have had problems with my eyes and achilles and have NHL (cancer). I have been under different treatments and I am able to train now but for a period - I could not train. When you can't train you miss these parts to able to get really physically tired and go through in your minds what has happened and stop the looping thoughts. - So if you are able to train - look upon it as a gift and something positive. Maybe, as you write, have a second thought about your planning, sounds good, but to stop all training - no way!/Crister

Anapico said...

Not giving up. Definitely going to continue. Just in a somewhat different manner than I am now. Need to work on it a while and come up with something that will work for me.

Fitness is a gift, I agree. Not one I plan to waste.

NHL? How long have you had this? Are you in treatment? We didn't know about this.

Anonymous said...

Hej Ana!
I got a non agressive type of NHL but I had a big tumor in my stomach - one liter - that is why I had a problem to bend over the steering...anyhow I had chemical treatment and I am under observation and visiting the hospital once or twice a year and twe only problem I have is that I can't eat volumes...Having this experience I know that I managed better having my body in shape and
it is terrible not to be able to exercise./Crister