Sunday, November 25, 2007

Dana Point Turkey Trot


A pre-feast 10k with 10,000 of our newest friends. Why not? I like getting some good exercise before a day of wanton food excess.

My goal was to run it, or run/walk it, burn a few calories, and have a good time. My friend from work who runs about my pace (10ish min miles) came too. Basta's goal was to leave it all on the course, run as fast as he could, and have a good time. He ran it with his buddy, a former collegiate runner who knows all about racing for competition, and who is 15 years younger than he.

Lovely day. A bit chilly for Southern California (shush), but after a mile or so we could all toss our sweatshirts and be comfortable in our short sleeve shirts and tights. A number of pilgrims, indians, and turkeys ran, which is always fun. I like seeing that kind of thing but I can't imagine doing it myself. Maybe I’m repressed, I don't know.

But the atmosphere was very good and my friend and I had a good time, chatting away and jogging.

I had left instructions with Basta thusly: Slow warmup jog for 10 mins prior to the start. Be warm and ready to hit it hard when the gun goes off. Pace yourself through the first 3 miles, then increase speed through mile 4 & 5. Sprint all-out mile 6 and through finish. Don’t hold back: leave it all on the course.

I don't know how much of that he actually did. Basta's buddy is fast and he said he worked to keep up with him most of the race. But towards the end he said, 'let's leave it on the course!' and started to sprint. His buddy couldn't carry the sprint and told Basta to take off. He did, and beat his (very much younger) buddy by 20 seconds. He also set a 10K PR: 47:39 - 7:40 pace. 26th out of 196 in his age group. No podium, but mighty impressive. Coach is proud. This is only his 3rd week of training, after all.

No comments: