Monday, November 26, 2007

Day of Rest

Mondays are rest days for both of us. The last two Mondays Basta has been pooped. Lead legs, achy body, and very, very ready for the rest day.

Today, he's fine. Happy to not be training for a day, but not exhausted. Of course, this was also Thanksgiving week and he skipped a few workouts. But let's ignore that for the moment. I like to think that he's getting more fit and able to handle the workout load better.

Well, no. Scratch that. I just updated his actual times against his planned times. He was supposed to do 600 minutes this week. He did 423. No wonder he's feeling rested. But holidays make it hard, I know this. He could have skipped a lot more than he did. He could have drank a bit less at the friend's get-together Friday night and gotten a better ride done on Saturday, too. But I suppose if he were perfect he'd be wearing a halo and that would probably annoy the hell out of me.

This coming week he has 720 minutes scheduled. We'll be out of town for half of it. Not ideal. Fortunately, we're spending Fri - Sun with a friend who is a biker. He has a 56-mile ride planned for us on Saturday. He rides FAST. I'm hoping he can teach Basta a lot of technique that day. They are going to ride most of the Vineman course so Basta can see what it's like. He wants to do the half Vineman this year. I'm going to ride some of it myself, just not with them. They are too fast for me.

Basta hasn't ridden 56 miles all in one sitting in nearly a year. His longest ride in these three short weeks of training has been around 2 hours. Also, there aren't many hills around here. We have to drive to find hills if we want them. This Vineman course is very hilly, and he won't be done in 2 hours. I suspect this is going to kick his ass.

It'll also help get all of his minutes done this week.

No comments: