Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Spinning

Or not.

We were supposed to spin tonight. I've never spun before, but I've certainly heard about it. Everyone, without fail, says it's the hardest workout they've ever done. Great.

I've been trying to spin for a while now. The only time my gym offers a class I can attend is Tuesdays at 6. A few weeks ago I showed up, bike shorts and shoes in my handy gym bag, only to find a 'Class Cancelled' sign on the door to the spinning room. Grrr.

Then we went on a trip to New Orleans. No spinning.

Then I had a business trip to Philadelphia. No spinning.

Then Thanksgiving week. Class cancelled again (we belong to a small gym. Classes get changed and cancelled a lot). This time they at least planned the cancellation ahead of time.

Which brings us to today. I've put "60 mins spinning class" on Basta's workout schedule every Tuesday for the next few weeks. I think spinning will improve his biking. It'll also encourage me to go, and lord knows I need both the improvement in the biking and the workout for myself.

I packed my stuff again. I know I should do this. But I fear the spinning. I don't know if I want to work out that hard. I was dreading it all day long.

Along about noon, I started to feel sick. Hmm. Really sick or dreading spinning sick? It feels really sick, but who knows? I started on the Zicam right away and have high hopes that will do the trick yet again. But tonight, I feel achy and snuffly. I need to be healthy by this weekend when we head up to the wine country, so I opted to skip spinning (aw) and go home to bed instead.

Basta, determined to get his minutes done this week but not wanting to spin without me, decided to ride the trainer at home instead. We are still debating the Computrainer and right now just have a regular fluid trainer. It works well. Of course, it's boring as hell. He moved it up to the bedroom so he can watch tv while he rides, but still. It's boring. He did 60 minutes tonight, bitching pretty much the whole time. I wonder if the CompuTrainer will be any less boring? I think somewhat so. You get to see a lot of stats, work on your form, and watch a video of actual courses. But it'll still be a trainer. I think that's something you just need to change your attitude for or else it'll always be awful.

Next week, Napa. My next potential spin drama is mid-December. Far enough away for now.

No comments: